Napoleon's Quarters in the Seidewitz Valley
Situated on the upper reaches of the Seidewitz, the Kuckuckstein Castle and the church already announce the town from afar.
In the middle of the romantic Seidewitz valley, in the foothills of the Osterzgebirge mountains on the border to Saxon Switzerland, lies Liebstadt, the smallest town in Saxony, with its districts Waltersdorf, Döbra, Berthelsdorf, Herbergen, Seitenhain, Großröhrsdorf and Biensdorf. Some prominent elevations in the town area are the Napoleon Redoubt near Herbergen, the Käferberg, the Galgenberg and the Ziegenrücken. South of Liebstadt, the Seidewitz river has been dammed by a retention basin since 1967. The famous Kuckuckstein Castle and the church of Liebstadt also tower impressively over the small town due to their location on the steep slope of the Seidewitz valley.
But in addition to this striking landscape, Liebstadt also has history to offer. There was a prominent quartering at the castle during the war days of 1813. On 9 September 1813, none other than Napoleon and his general staff spent the night here. Marshal Sr. Cyr also stayed here twice, and during the last stay Carlowitz's castle was demolished.