The start point is Hohnstein market square. From here, we first take the small Rathausstraße downhill - with the castle to our right - and then turn immediately right into the path "Bärengarten". The blue line markings take us down into the Schindergraben.
The name comes from the original profession of the "Schinder" or coverer, who gave the graden to sick animals and disposed of the carcasses in lonely areas - an important task for epidemic prevention.
The Schindergraben flows into the Polenz valley. After crossing the Polenz, we hike to the right (marked red dot). After a few minutes, take the path on the left up to the Hockstein (marked with a blue and green line). The trail leads through the Wolfsschlucht - a very narrow and impressive crevice between the rocks. At the top we reach the Hockstein, with a rest pavilion and an impressive viewpoint.
In former times, a castle stood on the Hockstein. The only access was a narrow crevice in the rock - the Wolfsschlucht. This made the fortress easy to guard and optimal to defend in case of attack.
The rest of the way leads over the stone Teufelsgrund bridge. At the next junction, we keep left and follow the Knotenweg (green line), it later crosses a road. We continue to follow the Knotenweg (at the next junction without coloured trail markings left downhill) until we reach the Koppelsgrund. Here we turn left (Füllholzelweg, red line), later cross the road again and descend into the Polenztal. At the bottom, turn right to the Waltersdorfer Mühle (Waltersdorf Mill), cross the bridge behind the mill and continue left to the Neuweg (red line). Walk uphill through the forest to the beginning of Hohnstein and back to the market. On the way there or back, we recommend a visit to the impressive Hohnstein Castle.
Hohnstein Castle was built in 1236 and has since risen 140 metres above the Polenz Valley. The rock walls drop steeply down into the valley from three sides. The only access is via the market square of the small town of Hohnstein. As a fief of Emperor Charles IV, King of Bohemia, the border fortress passed to Hinko I Berka of Duba in 1353.